A Light Emitting Diode (LED) is a semiconductor device that converts electricity into light. Introduced in 1962 as a practical electronic component, they are used as indicator lamps in many devices and now increasingly being used for lighting.
The LED downlights are the latest and most advanced version of downlights. The advantages of the LED downlights are as follow.
- The LED downlights save almost 90% of energy as compared to the halogen downlights that waste a lot of energy in the form of heat
- They are more efficient as compared to other downlights
- Even though they are slightly expensive as compared to the halogen downlights, the LED downlights last long and thus they prove to be cheaper in the long run
- The LED downlights consume very less power. As compared to a 50 Watt halogen downlight which consumes about 75 Watts power, an LED downlight consumes only around 7.9 Watts for 3*3 Watt LEDs
- The LED downlights generate very less heat as compared to the halogen downlights and hence the energy gets consumed to generate light. Thus, the LED downlights have brighter light while the halogen downlights produce lot of heat which reduces the intensity of the light.
- The latest innovations in the LED downlights include the waterproof & dustproof lights made by Downlights
- Direct (Or Expert Electrical Supplies Ltd) from Lancs. They have also made High power lights which generate brighter & better quality light.
There are different kinds of LED downlights in the market like
- Low Energy downlights
- High power downlights
- Waterproof downlights
- Fire Rated downlights
- Studio downlights
- commercial downlights
- Low Voltage downlights
- Track lights
They are designed for different purposes and have different functionalities. There are some things to keep in mind before buying the downlights though. Before choosing the downlights, one needs to check the legal regulations of the property where they are going to be installed.
Thus, the LED downlights are the best replacement for the old fashioned inefficient halogen downlights.