From heart-stopping horrors to magical musicals, we all love a movie that leaves a lasting impression long after the credits roll.
And there’s plenty of tech out there that’ll enhance your viewing experience, such as rich and immersive surround sound speakers and vibrant and vivid 4K TVs that project sharp and crystal-clear pictures.
You can now further enhance your viewing experience by syncing the Philips Hue lighting system to the colours you see on your TV screen, and enjoy complementary mood lighting to go with your movie.
If you haven’t heard of Philips Hue, here’s a quick overview…
What is Philips Hue?
Philips Hue is an LED smart lighting system that allows you to control your lighting from your mobile device by downloading the Philips Hue app, which is available on Apple and Android.
From the Philips Hue app, you can:
• Dim lights and create the perfect ambience
• Control up to 50 bulbs from one device
• Choose from 16 million different colours and shades of light
• Set up motion sensors, so bulbs only turn on when someone’s in the room
The benefits don’t stop there either. The Philips Hue lighting system works exclusively with energy-efficient LED bulbs which:
• Consume 90% less energy than standard halogen and incandescent bulbs to reduce your carbon footprint
• Save you hundreds every year on your energy bills
• Last up to 15 times longer than standard, less efficient bulbs that have far shorter lifespans
• Allow you to use an array of different colour tones to help you create a bespoke lighting scheme
How can Philips Hue enhance your movie-viewing experience?
So, you’ve got your mates round, finally found a film on Netflix you can all agree on, and got the popcorn in the bowl (and consumed most of it before pressing ‘play’) – now it’s time for the finishing touches to the ultimate move experience: the mood lighting.
The Philips Hue lighting system can work in sync with the movie you’re watching and help bring the on-screen action direct to your living room.
For example, if you’re watching a movie, and a forest or underwater scene appears on screen, the app will choose a green or blue shade of light to emit from your bulbs to match the colours you see on your TV. Now that’s realism.
Getting set-up is really easy using a third-party apps:
Once you’ve downloaded the relevant app and synced it to your Philips Hue bridge system, you can get started.
Whichever operating system you have, all of the apps work in pretty much the same way:
1. Open the app and sync your mobile device to your light bulbs via the Philips Hue Bridge
2. Using the built-in camera, capture the regions of your TV screen. The app will then continuously analyse the screen pixels as the film plays
3. Sit-back, relax and enjoy the ride
It’s really that easy!